1 Everton target Andriy Yarmolenko Everton could lose out to Barcelona in their pursuit of Andriy Yarmolenko.The Toffees are currently in talks with Dynamo Kyiv but have yet to agree a fee for the 25-year-old.And now Barca could hijack the deal as they try to find a replacement for Pedro, who joined Chelsea last week.According to Sport, the Ukrainian playmaker is high up on Luis Enrique’s shortlist and the European champions could make a bid for him in the coming days, although he would not be able to feature for Barca until their transfer ban is lifted in January 2016.The interest from Barca may force Everton to step up their negotiations with Dynamo, who are keen to sell one of their star assets before his contract runs out next summer.
1 West Ham are considering a January swoop for Roma striker Seydou Doumbia, according to reports in Italy.The Ivory Coast international is currently on loan at CSKA Moscow after struggling to make an impact in Italy.The 27-year-old only joined Roma in January from CSKA for £11m – but he headed back there in the summer on a season-long deal.However, according to Corriere dello Sport, Doumbia’s loan could be cut short as West Ham weigh up a January move.The Hammers are on the hunt for attacking reinforcements and have been impressed by the forward this season.Doumbia has been in fine form this term and already has eight goals in all competitions. Seydou Doumbia
1 Galatasaray are on the verge of completing a move for Chelsea forward Loic Remy.The Frenchman wants out of Stamford Bridge this month and Aston Villa and Newcastle have been linked with the 29-year-old, as have several sides in France.However, according to Turkish newspaper AMK, Galatasaray representatives are now in London finalising a deal for Remy.The final details are still to be discussed, but it is reported that the Frenchman will join on loan for the remainder of the season before sealing a permanent £9m move in the summer.Remy has made 13 appearances for Chelsea this season, scoring three goals. Loic Remy
1 Andros Townsend Quique Sanchez Flores has suggested Watford will make a fresh attempt to lure Andros Townsend to Vicarage Road.The Hornets reportedly had a £10million bid for the out-of-favour Tottenham winger turned down earlier this month, but Sanchez remains keen on the 24-year-old.“He has the characteristics that we are looking for,” said the Watford boss, when asked about the interest in Townsend.“We have players in the side who can play intelligent football but we need skill, we need velocity. We need to make a balance with these players and he has the characteristics.“I don’t like to talk about names but these are the kind of characteristics we are looking for.”Watford have also been linked with a swoop for Townsend’s former Tottenham teammate Emmanuel Adebayor.Flores confirmed his interest in the 31-year-old, but admitted he may struggle to persuade Adebayor to be a third-choice striker behind his regular and in-form front two, Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo.“I can understand why a lot of clubs in England want to sign Adebayor,” said Flores. “He’s 31, he has quality, he has experience, he has goals. So I understand that he can choose where he wants to play in the Premier League.“It’s not easy to come here to cover Deeney and Ighalo. They have a high performance every time and they are part of the soul of this team. It’s difficult to challenge these players, so we need to be sensitive.“We need to explain to the players on what condition they’re coming to this team. I don’t want any players coming here to cover strikers that think they are going to play easily, because it’s not the real situation.“We play with two strikers but it’s difficult to take them out of the team, including in the match.”
New complaints about hotels near Los Angeles International Airport withholding tips from workers prompted a city panel Wednesday to call for toughening laws on employers. The City Council recently approved a law requiring hotels around LAX to pay tips to their workers. But the council’s Trade, Commerce and Tourism Committee was told it has limited enforcement authority because the hotels changed the name of the fees for conventions and large meetings from “service” to “facility” charges to get around the law. “It sounds to me like the hotels are up to their old tricks … to get around the law,” Councilwoman Janice Hahn said. “They are spending a lot of money to avoid doing the right thing.” The council adopted the tip law affecting six hotels around LAX in return for dropping a living-wage ordinance they had sought against the hotels. “This is just another game by the hotel owners,” Councilman Bill Rosendahl said. The panel asked for recommendations on available options within a month. But it also was told the city regulation has no enforcement provision and that it is up to the workers to sue if hotels are not following the law. “We never were told that,” Hahn said. “Our intent was to have a measure the city could enforce.” firstname.lastname@example.org (213) 978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Alvarez has been unavailable for comment since he was censured by fellow members of the Three Valley’s board last week. Alvarez’s claim that he is a professional engineer appears to be baseless. He claimed to have earned an engineering degree from Cal Poly Pomona, but there’s no record of him ever attending the university. He has failed when confronted by colleagues and reporters to identify where he works, and he told Three Valleys board President Bob Kuhn last week that he merely has an interest in engineering. On November’s ballot, Alvarez identified himself as an engineer. A candidate who falsely identifies his vocation on a ballot can face criminal charges carrying a maximum punishment of three years in prison, according to state law. In 2002 when Juarez reached the Three Valleys board, he was the only candidate to file papers for the open seat. The professional contractor said he was in “shock and disbelief” when last year’s election results came in. “I don’t know how Alvarez won,” Juarez said. “I myself thought he was in the Marine Corps. The things that are coming out in the newspapers now, I had no idea. “There were rumors around town about how he never graduated, he wasn’t an engineer, things of that nature. But I had no proof and no time — I had to focus on my campaign.” Alvarez’s campaign for the Three Valleys seat was run on a very low budget. Juarez said he remembered seeing a few handmade signs scattered in some parts of the south Pomona district, but little else. It was the endorsement by Torres, and Alvarez’s inclusion on a firefighters’ union slate mailer of endorsements, that may have contributed to his victory, Juarez and others believe. “(Torres’s endorsement) probably had a lot to do with it,” said Stephen Atchley, who defeated incumbent Councilman Steven Banales last year. “It certainly helped with my election,” said Atchley, who was endorsed by Torres. The mayor said she endorsed Alvarez because he knew him through his volunteer work and civic participation over the years. “(Alvarez) kept bugging me and bugging me and bugging me about endorsing him,” Torres said. She granted him an endorsement one week before the election. “I knew as much about his opponent as I knew about Xavier, nothing,” Torres said. “I knew that they were volunteers in the city. His opponent didn’t ask me for an endorsement.” In the midst of an anti-incumbent drive — with Torres’ endorsement, and a ballot designation as an “engineer” — Alvarez was victorious on Election Day. He won narrowly: 3,854 votes for Alvarez, 3,804 votes for Juarez. Torres now says she regrets endorsing Alvarez. Since the Alvarez embarrassment she has drafted a form, listing biographical information and references, that candidates seeking her endorsement must fill out before she will support them. “(Alvarez) certainly sounds to me like a pathological liar,” Torres said. “I don’t know what to tell you other than he should resign. I feel very strongly about that.” Alvarez, who has claimed for years to have won the Medal of Honor, never served in the military. He has been charged by federal authorities with falsely claiming to have won the medal. Alvarez was censured by the Three Valleys board last week for illegally funneling spousal health benefits to a woman who divorced him in 2002. The benefit cost Three Valleys, a public agency, more than $4,000 between April and October. The Public Integrity Division of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office received a letter Friday from Three Valleys outlining Alvarez’s alleged misappropriation of public funds. David Demerjian, head deputy of the Public Integrity Division, said a preliminary review into what would be a felony charge is now under way. Juarez feels Alvarez should resign, and said that if the seat were vacated, he would seek it. “I think if people really knew the real Xavier Alvarez, and people voted with that knowledge, I would have won the election,” Juarez said. email@example.com (909) 483-8553160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“If he had been running for the state Legislature, or Congress, opposition researchers would have found this information very quickly,” said Jack Pitney, a political scientist at Claremont McKenna College. “It’s not hard to find out, for instance, that someone is not on the list of Medal of Honor winners. That’s public information. “But when you run for a low-level office, you often don’t have to worry about opposition researchers.” Last November, a push by voters to oust incumbent Pomona City Council candidates — three of four were defeated — likely contributed to Alvarez’s electoral victory in the Three Valley’s race on the same ballot. His opponent for the Three Valleys seat, Luis Juarez, listed his occupation on the ballot as “incumbent.” Alvarez was listed as “engineer.” POMONA — Xavier Alvarez’s narrow victory last year in the campaign for the Three Valleys Municipal Water Board came after years of falling short politically. The unlikely victory was enabled by several factors: support from Mayor Norma Torres, an anti-incumbent sentiment among Pomona voters, and Alvarez’s manufactured persona as a war hero and engineer. In the low-profile water board race, that persona went unscrutinized by political opponents, local newspapers and the rest of the public. It seems inconceivable Alvarez would have been elected last November had south Pomona voters known the truth about his biography, that he did not win the Medal of Honor, never served in the military and did not work as an engineer as he claimed.
Los Angeles Unified’s fourth and eighth graders perform the worst in reading out of 11 of the nation’s big-city school districts, according to a national report released today. Fourth graders came in eighth in their performance in math, compared to districts in Boston, Houston and New York among others, while eighth graders did better than two school districts — District of Columbia and Atlanta — according to the 2007 National Assessent of Educational Progress, better known as the “Nation’s Report Card.” Math and reading scores of LAUSD’s fourth and eighth graders showed no improvement over last year, and continues to lag both the state and national averages, according to NAEP, which calculated the district’s achievement trends based on standardized tests. But district officials said Wednesday a review of the district’s performance over four years shows gains that outpace those in the other 10 school districts. “Looking at the trend, we’re going in the right direction, but we still have a lot to do,” said Esther Wong, assistant superintendent of planning, assessment and research at LAUSD. “The work that we’ve done and the focus continues to show at least promising practices in what we need to do.” While LAUSD’s African-Americans, Asian/Pacific Islanders and white students saw no significant change in their NAEP average score compared to 2005, Latino and lower-income students bucked the trend with a higher average score compared to both 2003 and 2005. LAUSD has the highest percentage of Latino students out of all the large districts studied. Wong said the results could be a direct result of the district focusing on culturally relevant education. “We’re focusing on English learners acquiring the English language and reclassifying, and if they’re reclassifying to English, they’re more proficient and you’re going to see them perform better in tests like this,” Wong said. “It’s a combination of things including professional development in reading, and they’re all snowballing and we’re beginning to see these improvements.” And the four-year improvements are noteworthy particularly since out of the 11 districts studied, LAUSD has the highest percentage of English learners, Wong said. “These increases are amazing considering we include almost all of our English learners in the testing sample, as well as our students with disabilities,” Wong said. The NAEP reading and math assessments were administered by the U.S. Department of Education earlier this year to districts that volunteered to participate. Most of the 11 districts continued to gain in math, but progress in reading was less consistent and more modest. “Performance in the participating districts varies. Some are above the national averages for different groups of students and some are below,” said Darvin M. Winick, chair of the National Assessment Governing Board, which sets policy for NAEP. “There is still quite a bit of room for improvement. But on average, when demographics are considered, student performance in the (participating) districts is similar to the performance of their peers nationwide.” One key problem Wong said LAUSD needs to target is decreasing the number of students scoring below basic under the STAR program, in which tests are designed to assess how well students achieve state-adopted standards for each grade level and subject. The goal is to get students into the top two categories: proficient and advanced. After some improvement since 2002, LAUSD’s fourth graders tapered off in their reading average scores and had no significant change in the proficiency compared to previous assessments. The overall math score for LAUSD fourth graders also remained steady after some improvement since 2003, but saw no significant change compared to 2005 — the last study released. LAUSD eighth graders also saw no significant change in overall reading scores or proficiency from 2005, compared to all previous assessments. But LAUSD eighth graders were the only group to see an upward swing, with an overall math score that was higher than in 2003 and 2005 – even though they still lag behind the state. A review of performance from 2002 to 2007 shows that eighth graders, for example, had a six-point gain in reading — the highest out of all 11 districts for eighth graders, Wong said. Fourth grade reading scores for African-American students rose from a NAEP score of 186 in 2002 to 196 in 2007 — also the largest gain out of all 11 districts, she said. Math scores jumped from 208 to 216 since 2003. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
SUCCESS stories are to hard to find in business these days.But one Co Donegal company continues to expand.And with 360 staff now, E&I Engineering really is one of the county’s big success stories, working on projects like Wembley, the Aviva and the Olympics. The Burnfoot company founder Philip O’Doherty and his company have now been profiled in the Financial Times.You can read that article here:http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/0704595a-854c-11e1-a394-00144feab49a.html#axzz1s9VO1n3S ADVERTISEMENT DONEGAL COMPANY’S SUCCESS TOASTED BY THE FINANCIAL TIMES was last modified: April 16th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BurnfootDONEGAL COMPANY’S SUCCESS TOASTED BY THE FINANCIAL TIMESe&I engineering
Everton and Liverpool are ready to battle it out for Paris Saint-Germain starlet Presnel Kimpembe.The 20-year-old has been tipped for a big future and is capped by France at Under-21 level.However, the centre-back is currently struggling to break into the PSG first-team and is considering his future.That, according to L’Equipe, has sparked interest from Everton and Liverpool, with the pair ready to fight for Kimpembe’s signature this summer.Monaco tried to sign the Frenchman during the January transfer window but their offer was immediately rejected by PSG.Everton and Liverpool are expected to be rebuffed in their approach too – unless Kimpembe asks for a move. Presnel Kimpembe [right] in action for Paris Saint-Germain 1
Manuel Pellegrini was disappointed with his side’s performance as Manchester City drew 1-1 with Premier League strugglers Newcastle United.The Citizens’ St James’ Park showing fell far short of the standard set in Saturday’s 3-0 win at Chelsea and it was a result which left his side 12 points adrift of leaders Leicester and seven behind second-placed Tottenham.Semi-finalists City took the lead inside 15 minutes as Sergio Aguero netted his 100th Premier League goal – which should have been disallowed for offside.Vurnon Anita’s first strike in more than two years levelled it after the half-hour mark and substitute Georginio Wijnaldum was denied a stoppage time winner by keeper Joe Hart.“That was not the same team as on Saturday, without any doubt,” Pellegrini said.“Maybe we couldn’t recover so soon after three days to have the same pace that we had against Chelsea“We knew also before the game that it was going to be a very tough game because Newcastle are playing not to be relegated next season. They had just won their last game, so it was a difficult game as we expected.”Pellegrini was at least able to revel in Aguero’s achievement with only Newcastle old boy Alan Shearer having reached a Premier League century in fewer than his 147 appearances.He said: “I am happy for him because it’s not easy to score 100 goals in the amount of games that Sergio did it.“He’s second in the history of the Premier League, so I am happy for him and I hope he will continue the same way until the end of the season.”